Hiring professional photographers at a wedding is the norm. However amateur wedding photographer sometimes take better pictures, especially if they know the couple involved. Many people will say that it is a huge mistake, but I differ on this. If you want to become an amateur wedding photographer at your friend’s wedding follow some simple tricks.
(1) Discuss with the bride and groom what they want – This is the first step towards getting the photos which are required, discuss formal and informal shots, what they do and don’t want. Wedding photos are so important for the bride and groom; It is something to reflect their special day throughout their life. Make sure you shoot all the rituals and be on the look out for those something different informal shots.
(2) Work together – If there are other photographers, competing for the best shot might ruin your collection, the best way is co-operation and working together.
(3) Focus on the job – Do not get too inventive too soon. First take the shots which you have been asked to, and then become creative.
(4) Shoot in RAW format – The importance of shooting in RAW is that you can later edit the photo as you want.
(5) Get the format shots right – Work hard on getting the formal family shots perfect. Try clicking 10 each. You do not need to worry about camera films in this age of digital cameras. Doing your research, keeping your eyes open and listening to the needs of the bride and groom will ensure you have a lovely collection to share with them at the end of the day.
Photography in Black and White tone gives the classic look. The vintage look does the trick. The best part is facial blemishes disappear. In the world of digital photography taking a black and white photo has become a lost art. However it is coming back to fashion with its inclusion in fashion photography. A colour photograph is defining but a black and white is striking. Here are a few tips for beginners:
- Shoot in color and Photoshop – This is the easiest way to turn your ordinary photo into a classic. Most digital cameras give the option of black and white, but if your camera doesn’t shoot color and convert on Photoshop. Ferratum UK has some awesome black and whiter photos on its website.
- Shoot in cloudy weather – When it is not the right time for color photography, it is the best for black and white photography. The best hues of Black and white come in dark cloudy weather.
- Use shapes and tones – Since there is no color to work with use shapes and tones to give a much-needed lift to the photo. You will learn more about shadow and highlight this way.
- Use RAW feature in your digital camera – The most unused feature of your camera comes handy in shooting the Black and WHite photo. Just switch to RAW and click, that’s it.
- Shoot in low ISO – Just like in color photos you need to keep the noise out by using lowest possible ISO in the available light. This will add clarity to the photos.
When I see the sepia photographs I was really curious to know how to do it. Sepia made its debut as a tone brought forward by Caleb Agnew. The technique was very popular in erstwhile era when photographs were mainly printed on paper. The tone gradually lost its popularity during the 20th century with the advent of digital photography.
As the advances were made in film processing there was no longer need of the sepia tone. Earlier it was primarily used to correct gray-scale photography. I have a sepia tone picture of my great-grandfather and it gives a different and classy look. Now let us understand what Sepia means. Actually sepia comes from squid. Earlier paintings which were mono color were made using squid ink to give them a refined look and some shades as well. The classy look is what has resulted in the sepia tone making a grand comeback in the 21st century.
Photography has gone digital and there is no need of processing. You just need a printer and a photo paper and your photo is ready. So why has the sepia made a come back.? The reason is not complex but very simple. It is the classy look it gives a photograph. As there was increased use of digital photography software like Photoshop, people could come and make tone changes on their computer. For some time even camera would have a sepia tone option, but that is past now. I am very excited with doing a shoot and turning my photograph in an art piece. I just learnt to use Adobe Photoshop!!!!
It does not matter if you want to be a photographer or if you just want to learn how to take better photos, there are some basic tips and tricks you can follow.
First of all, you have to keep in mind that the right camera can only take you so far. If you are a beginner photographer or you do not want to invest that much money on a hobby or an interest, you don’t have to buy a fancy DSLR. You can get amazing photos with your phone camera, or a point-and-shoot as well. You just have to make sure that you learn the basics of photography.
If you want to take good photos, you should start observing the subject or the scene you wish to photograph. This will provide you with interesting angles to work on, and let you observe moments that would make great photographs. Of course, you could go over the camera settings and find out if you can tweak the exposure, the saturation, brightness, or the focus to make the photo better. Remember- editing can make a photo better, but a lot depends on the actual capture.
You have to keep practicing– after all, you will learn to take good photos only after you have taken a number of bad ones.
Instagram has provided a lot of amateur photographers the ability to explore different facets of photography. Say what you want about the number of mundane photographs that do turn up on your Instagram feed, they are encouraging people into taking up photography and that’s good enough for me.
There are some basic trips that amateur photographers can use to make their Instagram pictures look much better than usual.
- Work your angles: It does not matter if you are just taking a selfie, or a photo of a rather beautifully designed cup of coffee, getting a good angle on the photo is really important. It will transform the entire subject and make your photo stand out.
- Make use of the borders. Instagram has a lot of borders that help perfectly frame the moment and give the moment a feel.
- Details. The details do matter. Did you notice a pattern you really like? Are you wearing funky earrings? Does the wall in that cafe have interesting photos? Why don’t you take a photo of that? Noticing the details and the smaller things are the first steps towards becoming a professional.
- Lighting is important. This will take a while for you to perfect. You have to find the perfect blend of highlight and shadows in order for you to find the perfect angles on the subject of the photo.